Many readers of the YA genre put their ideas to paper in the form of fan art. Below are some great examples of various characters in Marie Lu’s The Young Elites.
If you are a talented young artist feel free to visually represent any of the characters in the TRCA Top Ten books. Your librarian will be pleased to post your work in the library. Happy drawing!
Click on the title to download and watch the TRCA 2015 PowerPoint Presentation.
The first and most enduring award for GLBT books is the Stonewall Book Awards, sponsored by the American Library Association’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table. Since Isabel Miller’s Patience and Sarah received the first award in 1971, many other books have been honored for exceptional merit relating to the transgender/ bisexual/ gay/ lesbian/experience.
This year I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson was named a Stonewall Honor Books for Children’s and Young Adult Literature.
The Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal is awarded annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished informational book published in the United States in English during the preceding year. The award is named in honor of Robert F. Sibert, the long-time President of Bound to Stay Bound Books, Inc. of Jacksonville, Illinois. ALSC administers the award.
The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus, written by Jen Bryant, is the Sibert Award winner.
Brown Girl Dreaming, written by Jacqueline Woodson was named one of five 2015 Honor Books.
Previous awards and accolades for Brown Girl Dreaming include the following:
- Publishers Weekly, starred review
- School Library Journal, starred review
- Kirkus, starred review
- Booklist, starred review
- The Horn Book, starred review
- The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, starred review
- Library Media Connection, starred review
- 2014 National Book Award Winner, Young People’s Literature
- John Newbery 2015 Honor Book
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work – Youth / Teens (2015)
- Coretta Scott King Book Award for 2015
- The Claudia Lewis Award (The Claudia Lewis Award honors the late Claudia Lewis, distinguished children’s book expert and longtime member of the Bank Street College faculty and Children’s Book Committee. The award is given for the best poetry book of the year.)