The fifth annual CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award kicks off on 8 March 2016! If you are a CCRSB student in grades 7-12, you are invited to read from this year’s list of 10 amazing books and vote for your favourite to be the winner of the CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award.
CCRSB Library Services staff carefully chose the 2016 Top 10 based on the best critical reviews, readers’ reviews, and the books’ performances on well-respected awards lists. These titles represent a wide range of genres and include some of the best fiction and non-fiction published between January, 2014 and December, 2015.
- All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
- Greenglass House by Kate Milford
- The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
- A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller
- Nimona by Noella Stevenson
- The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
- We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story by Josh Sundquist
Participating is easy! Just follow these three steps:
1) Read at least one of the Top 10 titles between March 8th and May 20th. All 10 nominees are available from your school library. If you’ve already read one of the nominated titles, read another! You never know – you may find your new favourite book.
2) Discuss the books with other CCRSB students on the pages linked at the top of this website. Please remember these rules when submitting comments:
- Don’t include any identifying information (last name, school, location, etc.).
- Be respectful of other students’ comments.
- Use school appropriate language.
3) Until May 20th vote for your favourite book to be the 2015 Teen Reader’s Choice Award Winner! The winning book will be announced on Tuesday, May 31st.
Head to your school library, grab a Top 10 book, and let’s start reading!
The full list of nominees, ordered by number of votes received, is:
1) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (317 votes)
2) I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (79 votes)
3) Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern (76 votes)
4) The Young Elites by Marie Lu (74 votes)
5) Out Of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys (67 votes)
6) War Brothers by Sharon E. McKay and Daniel Lafrance (64 votes)
7) Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein (58 votes)
8) The Nazi Hunters by Neal Bascomb (46 votes)
9) In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (40 votes)
10) Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (30 votes)
CCRSB Library Services would like to extend a huge thank you to all participating staff and students for making this program a great success! It couldn’t have happened without you!
The book Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys is set to be adapted for the big screen by Sorrento Productions and Tauras Films. Marius Markevicius will direct and Ben York Jones will adapt the script.
Between Shades of Gray, the 2011 best-selling YA novel by Ruta Sepetys, tells the story of a young teenager, Lina Vilkas, who is deported to Siberia during Stalin’s reign during World War II and separated from her father.
Between Shades of Gray was a 2013 Teen Reader’s Choice Award nominee.